Tring Sunday School Treat…
The bible class and friends in connection with the chapel in Akeman-street had their annual outing. The class (Mr. Glover’s) rode in conveyances to Berkhampstead Castle, and by the kind permission of Mr. D. Lee Ginger, spent a pleasant day in the park, which is situate between the railway and the Castle. The day was fine, and the large party having well enjoyed it returned home.
(Bucks Herald, Aug 1878).
Watford Ragged School… made an excursion to the Old Castle Grounds. The excursionists numbered about 200, and they spent a very pleasant day.
(Northampton Mercury, Jul 1882).
Intoxication in the Castle Grounds…
These grounds, so well-known as admirably suited for holiday parties, and so conveniently near to the railway, belong to the Duchy of Cornwall, and being leased by Earl Brownlow, grants for their use are given by his lordship through his agent. The intemperance on the last Bank Holiday celebrated in the grounds, culminating in the sad death of a waiter, who staggered on to the railway and was killed, offended the moral sense of the neighbourhood, and Earl Brownlow is to be memorialised not to permit in the future the sale of intoxicating drinks in the grounds. The memorial has been signed by the Rector and clergy of all denominations, the local magistrates, and many of the most influential inhabitants.
(Bucks Herald, Nov 1882).
Aston Clinton Temperance Society…
“Members of this society had their annual summer outing, the place chosen for the excursion being Berkhampstead Castle Grounds, kindly placed at their disposal by Earl Brownlow. The start was made from the Anthony Hall, whence the large party proceeded to their destination in well-appointed brakes and conveyances. The place of rendezvous having been safely reached, after strolling about the grounds an excellent tea was partaken of in a tent on the grounds, provided by Mr. Bates, of the Swan Coffee Tavern. A dispersion then took place again, some enjoying themselves in various games, others in examining the extensive ruins, in visiting the town and church, and surveying the rural beauties of the neighbourhood.
(Bucks Herald, Aug 1894).