Northchurch Lock (49) Bridge 139

New Road…
“… replaced a rough track and was a remarkable example of private enterprise on the part of the Earl of Bridgewater, of Ashridge. ‘The new line from North Church to Dunstable was executed at His Lordship’s sole expense, an example well worthy of initiation, as it afforded employment to the labouring poor during periods of severe pressure, and effected at the same time a public improvement of great and acknowledged utility.’ (Paterson’s Roads, c.1831).

New Road bridge construction

The track which preceded New Road was named Wood Lane in a map of c.1612. Later, it was called Holliday’s Lane, after Holliday’s Farm, part of which stood on the land afterwards occupied by the village school. On the front of this site stood the old Post Office.” (Beorcham, Berkhamsted Review, Mar 1963).