Marlin Chapel

Is this Marlin Chapel Farm?…
“As the season advances more fattening food is provided – barley-meal and cooked food – and, if thriving well, they will weigh twenty pounds or more at Christmas, when the poulterer makes his annual call at the farm. Some of these farmhouses must be centuries old, and make ‘quite a picture’ with their quaint half-timbered gables in many cases overhanging the stock-yard. In the one illustrated the upper rooms of the house were built over a gateway, which formed a shelter for the cattle, and the whole block was surrounded by a half-dried moat, while near by stood the ruins of an ancient chapel, the walls of which were crumbling from the ravages of time, but showed from their immense thickness that in the ages past the place was of some importance.” (J.T. Newman, Sketch, Sep 1898).

Turkeys at the farm_Newman_Sketch_Sep-1898

Turkeys at the farm, by J.T. Newman, 1898

“James Wood came originally from Marlin Chapel Farm and in 1826, whilst living at Monks Cottage in the High Street rented the yard from Berkhamsted School. His reputation grew as he made and repaired such diverse items as estate gates, candle snuffers, meat safes, fire guards and rat traps for many of the large houses and estates in the area. The day book for 1829 shows he dealt with Countess Bridgewater of Ashridge, Lady Cooper of Gadebridge Park and Lady Essex of Watford, to name just a few.” (Barbara van Heems, Berkhamsted Review, Apr 1996).

Advertisements