A journey of exploration in 1832:
“at the east end of the town. The first sign of industry… would have been the Old Mill, that dates its history by centuries, still producing the same familiar sound with its never-tiring monotony, calling up old associations of long, long ago, and speaking as with the voices of past generations. We can imagine the stranger pausing here, impressed with the rural sights and sounds that compel him to linger and to admire the surrounding beauties which time with its modern innovations has failed to destroy.” (Nash, Reminiscences, pp.5-6). This was one of two mills mentioned in the Domesday Book. It ceased operating in the early 1900s.
Summons of bargemen in Oct 1802, as reported in letters by John Rooper of Berkhamsted Castle: Sander, Wm Beezly, Henry Beezly & George were bargemen to Wm Wilkins of Wendover; Wm Underwood was boy on Thos Turing’s barge. They appeared before the Magistrates assembled at the Kings Arms Berkhamsted for unlawfully drawing the paddles of the locks and flushing the water out of the pound below Messrs Impey & Littleboys Mill Head and the pound below it, whereby the water was wasted. Evidence proved the facts against two that were complained of; they were convicted in the mitigated penalty of 40s each. Thomas Dorrien the Chairman gave the others who escaped being fined a proper caution and it is hoped that the measures thus taken will have a proper effect in preventing a repetition of such conduct in future.
The Hall from the canal:
In 1819, Hassell wrote of his tour of the Grand Junction Canal: “Beyond Bourne End, we have little interesting until we reach Berkhamsted; at the entrance to this town is the elegant seat of Mr. Pechell, opposite to whose mansion is Mr. Moore’s house, pleasantly situated on the banks of the stream”. Augustus Pechell of Berkhamsted Hall was Receiver General of the Post Office and John Moore (at New Lodge) married into the Brabazon family with connections to the Earl of Meath.
The Hall, viewed from the canal, was “purchased by Berkhamsted School in May 1928 and used as a preparatory school until 1937, when it was demolished.” (Berkhamsted Through Time)